Job Title : Apprentice General Assistant
Employer : Elder Grove Bed and Breakfast
Location : Ambleside, Cumbria, LA22 0DB
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Hotels and Accommodation
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01539
Brief Description : A brilliant opportunity has arisen for someone looking to start a career as a General Assistant at the Elder Grove B and B in Ambleside. Learn the hospitality trade alongside working to gain a Level 2 Customer Service Qualification.
Qualifications Required : None required, however, Maths and English will be assessed as part of the interview process.
Vacancy Detail : Elder Grove is a friendly Victorian bed and breakfast in Ambleside. They offer home away from home with striking views of Ambleside and the Lakeland fells beyond.
Elder Grove have an opportunity for a keen apprentice to join their small team as a General Assistant, learn the trade alongside working to gain a Level 2 Customer Service Qualification.
No experience necessary but a desire to learn and a love of Hospitality are important. In return you will join a small team and learn all aspects of how a guest house runs on a day to day bases. The position includes working Morning, weekends and occasional evening.
• To prepare and carry out food and beverage service to guests in a courteous and efficient manner. This includes offering table service to guests, regularly checking the floor in lounge areas, breakfast room and garden.
• To assist in the preparation of food for service as required, in accordance with the required standards.
• To keep back of house, lounge areas and gardens tidy at all times and to regularly clean all associated equipment.
• To clean down after breakfast service and relay tables for next day.
• Pour all drinks to the recommended legal standard (correct measure) in the appropriate glassware.
• Check identification of customers to make sure they meet age requirements for purchase of alcohol.
• Clean up dining room, lounge, bedrooms, public areas and garden after customers and clean with appropriate chemicals.
• To notify the Manager if you observe a particular item of stock is running low.
• To attend training sessions and courses and to assist with the ‘on-the-job’ training of new staff, as required.
• To handle minor complaints in a professional and courteous manner and to provide appropriate solutions. To immediately inform the Manager of all cases. To forward solutions and suggestions to eradicate complaints and other comments from guests to the Manager.
• To ensure that all food & beverage items served at a quality and recorded in an appropriate manner in order that guests may be charged, and to operate a cash bar as and when required.
• To display professional salesmanship and positive sales techniques at all times.
• To read all relevant company literature, notices and other correspondence and to regularly observe bar notice-boards.
• To uphold good housekeeping practices, ensuring a safe, clean, tidy and pleasant working environment.
• To ensure the proper care and security of guest items, hotel equipment, stock, furniture and fixtures, reporting malfunction or theft to the Manager, immediately, and in the case of all maintenance issues, record it in the maintenance book, which is found in reception.
• To assist in keeping operating costs to a minimum by efficient and responsible use of resources such as electricity, water, linen, stationery, cleaning materials, china, glassware, silver and other equipment.
• To comply with all Company policies and procedures.
• To carry out any other reasonable duty to assist in the smooth running of the guest house.
Number of Positions Available : 2
Working Week : 40 Hours
Salary : £160.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 06/08/2019
Possible Start Date : 12/08/2019
Personal Qualities : • Unafraid to ask questions
• Ability to work hard
• Ability to work accurately
• Ability to engage and build up a good rapport with young people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds
• Attention to detail
• Problem solving
• Team Work
• Flexibility in tasks and roles
• Confidence drive and enthusiasm
• Multi tasker
• Approachable and outgoing
• Dedication and motivation
• Highly presentable
Skills Required : • Good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively
• Ability to priorities with support
• Able to prioritise
• Work well within a team and confidence to work individually
• Work experience in any similar setting an advantage.
• Time management
• Ability to build good relationships team members
• Be willing and capable of learning new skills and undertaking training to completion
• Organisational skills
• Ability work under pressure during busy times
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to follow clear instruction
Future Prospects : Once you have completed a Customer Service qualification, you can progress through the ranks towards Supervisor. You will also have the opportunity to complete an advance apprenticeship. Year 1 you will complete the Customer Sevice qulaification and year 2 will see you aim to complete L3 Hospitality Supervisior Qualification.
Training to be Provided : Customer Service Practitioner apprenticeship Level 2
Maths and English if required
Other Information : The weekly wage of £160 is based on 40 hours per week. The sucessful applicant will also have a trial shift as part of the interview process.
Things to consider : Hospitality is a fast pace environment that require you to be on your feet for a long period of time. This role requires you to work early mornings and evenings along with weekends.
40 per week including mornings, evenings and weekends.
The map below shows the employer's location