Job Title : Commis Chef Apprentice
Employer : Baxterstorey - RBS Trinity Quay
Location : Bristol, Bristol, BS2 0PT
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Chef
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01529
Brief Description : Baxterstorey are currently looking for a Commis Chef Apprentice hungry for development, who has a real passion for food and customer focus. The successful candidate will work closely with their Head Chefs and be mentored by their Regional Development Chef.
Qualifications Required : None required, however, Maths and English will be assessed as part of the interview process.
Vacancy Detail : Baxterstorey is the largest independent contract catering company in the UK, they have many prestigious contracts though the South West and are constantly growing. Baxterstorey has several high-profile chef’s working within its brands including John Campbell and Monica Galetti. Within the company they have a Chef Academy running several courses which any budding chef would what to be included on. The Chef Academy is based from the Woodspeen John Campbells restaurant and chefs on the courses get personal coaching from John himself!
The successful candidate will work closely with the Head Chefs and be mentored by the Regional Development Chef, they will have the opportunity to spend time at different Baxterstorey locations getting full exposure and the opportunity to learn from some of the best chefs in the sector.
Alongside this, the successful applicant will work towards gaining a Level 2 Commis Chef Qualification.
Detailed Vacancy Description / Job Role
Job Title: Commis Chef
Reporting to: Head Chef / Sous Chef.
• To assist the Head Chef / Sous Chef in the kitchen operation and ensure the company’s reputation for food quality is maintained at all times.
• To assist in the preparation and cooking of menu items as directed by the Head / Sous Chef.
• To assist in the development and planning of menus, including future food trends and be passionate about developing new styles of service and concepts in the location.
• To assist with stock taking when required.
• To carry out the smooth and efficient running of your section as appropriate.
• To ensure that customers are given a prompt and efficient service and expectations are consistently exceeded.
• To be customer focused at all times; approachable and quick to exceed expectations in fulfilling customer needs.
• To be a team player, assisting other team members when necessary.
• To treat members of the team at location as you would expect to be treated.
• To gain an understanding of food costing, sales mix and menu planning.
• To ensure stock, deliveries and wastage are all checked and recorded in line with company and food standards.
Health & Safety, Food Safety, the Environment:
• To adhere to the company’s Food Hygiene, Health and Safety and Environmental policies.
• To ensure that food storage areas are maintained in accordance with the company’s Food Hygiene, Healthy and Safety and Environmental policies and procedures.
• To take responsibility for contributing towards your own development with the guidance of the Sous Head Chef and attending training courses
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 37.5 hours a week
Salary : £262.50 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 02/09/2019
Possible Start Date : 09/09/2019
Personal Qualities : • Passion for food and a keenness to learn more
• Can do attitude with a positive personality.
• Well-motivated and willing to go the extra mile
• We are looking for the right person, with the right attitude, we can build the catering skills, we really want someone who dreams of becoming a chef and has the motivation to give it what it takes.
Skills Required : • A good grasp of the English language and excellent communication skills
• Self-aware and a basic understanding of health and safety to help keep them and others safe
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Ability to work under pressure
• Ability to take instructions
Future Prospects : Baxterstorey is the largest independent contract catering company in the UK, we have many prestigious contracts though the South West and constantly growing. Baxterstorey has several high-profile chef’s working within its brands including John Campbell and Monica galetti just to name two. Within the company we have a Chef Academy which run several courses which any budding chef would what to be included on. The Chef Academy is based from the Woodspeen John Campbells restaurant and chefs on the course’s get personal coaching from John himself!
The successful apprentice has the prospects of developing though Baxterstorey family and becoming a Head Chef or Chef Manager of their own unit. As a company we are also working towards having every employee of the Foundation living wage.
Training to be Provided : Commis Chef apprenticeship Level 2
Maths and English if required
Other Information : Being able to drive/good on public transport as this role is based in the Bristol area, spending time at different Baxterstorey locations. To help cover every they need to learn to become a chef.
Things to consider : Being able to drive/good on public transport as this role is based in the Bristol area, spending time at different Baxterstorey locations. To help cover everywhere they need to learn to become a chef.
Monday – Friday 7am – 3pm (30 min unpaid break) 37.5 hrs
The map below shows the employer's location