Job Title : Apprentice Kitchen Assistant
Employer : Cotham School
Location : Bristol , Somerset, BS6 6DT
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Chef
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01360
Brief Description : An exciting opportunity to train in school catering. You will provide support in the preparation, cooking and serving food and beverages, and ensuring that cleaning rotas, food hygiene and health and safety practices are carefully followed.
Qualifications Required : Food hygiene, health and safety and food technology qualifications desirable.
Maths and English will be assessed as part of the interview process.
Vacancy Detail : Cotham School is an extremely successful co-operative academy that serves the local community, providing a high quality education for its students. We consistently deliver outstanding academic outcomes amongst the best in the city and are determined to raise standards even further.
You will be providing support in the preparation, cooking and serving of food and beverages and ensuring that kitchen and serving areas are cleaned to acceptable standards after service, alongside working towards your Level 2 Qualification
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• To assist with the smooth running of the school kitchen and assist at catering functions.
• To maintain standards of cleanliness, safety and hygiene of the premises and equipment and to work within the guidelines of the Health and Safety and Hygiene Regulations.
• To assist in the preparation, cooking and serving of food and beverages to appropriate hygiene standards as directed by the Catering Manager/Chef
• To prepare the dining area to include moving and setting up tables and waste bins
• To prepare the service area, hot cupboards and other equipment in the dining area to ensure food is served efficiently and in a hygienic environment.
• To assist with till operation and accounting procedures with regard to payments for food and drinks from students and staff.
• To load dishwashers and to wash dishes, cutlery, tumblers, jugs, serving utensils, containers, tables and all other catering equipment in the dining areas.
• To clean on a daily basis all catering areas to standards laid down by the school as directed. To assist in cleaning up the dining areas, kitchens and catering equipment after the lunch periods, including cleaning and putting away tables and chairs, washing up/loading dishwashers, cleaning kitchen surfaces and kitchen equipment as required.
• To assist in the checking of food deliveries, and assist in storing foods appropriately as directed by the Catering Manager.
• To inform the Catering Manager of any defects in equipment, suspect food or other concerns relating to food hygiene.
Number of Positions Available : 2
Working Week : 37 Hours
Salary : £218.30 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 19/01/2019
Possible Start Date : 20/01/2019
Personal Qualities : The ideal candidate should be resilient under pressure, calm and a good team player.
They should be prepared to help others when their own work is complete.
Skills Required : Able to work under pressure
Able to take instructions
Able to work as part of a team
Future Prospects : A willing and successful apprentice will be given a permanent role at the end of their apprenticeship.
Training to be Provided : Hospitality Team Member apprenticeship Level 2
Maths and English if required
Things to consider : The role requires you to be on your feet during most of your working hours in hot conditions. You will work in different sections of the catering facilities each week and learn how each area operates. You should be comfortable with dealing with teenage students. Kitchens are a hot, busy and time pressured as food has to be served at set times.
This role will be for 39 weeks of the year
7:30 to 3:00 Monday to Friday school term time, plus some additional days in the school holiday
The map below shows the employer's location