Job Title : Commis Chef
Employer : Baxterstorey - Birmingham Uni South
Location : Birmingham, West Midlands, B15 3TN
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Chef
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01350
Brief Description : Baxterstorey, an award-winning Catering company, have an exciting opportunity at their prestigious Birmingham University Campuses and are currently recruiting for an Apprentice Commis Chef to join their teams at one of their University sites.
Qualifications Required : None required though Maths and English will be assessed as part of the application process.
Vacancy Detail : Baxterstorey are recruiting for an Apprentice Chef/Chefs to join their teams at one of four of the Campuses at Birmingham University. The successful candidate will be based at one of the core sites but may on occasion have the opportunity to gain skills at one of the other catering units within the university therefore some travel will be required to support the operational functions of the kitchens.
Apprentice Chef - Job Description
Job Title: Apprentice Chef
Reporting to: Executive Head Chef
Overall Objectives: To assist in the kitchen operation and ensure the company’s reputation for food quality is maintained at all times whilst studying for Level 2 Commis Chef Standard qualification.
• To assist in the preparation and cooking of menu items as directed by their line manager.
• To assist in the development and planning of menus, including future food trends and be passionate about developing new styles of service and concepts in the location.
• To assist with stock taking when required.
• To carry out the smooth and efficient running as appropriate.
• To ensure that customers are given a prompt and efficient service and expectations are consistently exceeded.
• To be customer focused at all times; approachable and quick to exceed expectations in fulfilling customer needs.
• To be a team player, assisting other team members when necessary.
• To treat members of the team at location as you would expect to be treated.
• To gain an understanding of food costing, sales mix and menu planning.
• To ensure stock, deliveries and wastage are all checked and recorded in line with company and food standards.
Health & Safety, Food Safety, the Environment:
• To adhere to the company’s Food Hygiene, Health and Safety and Environmental policies.
• To ensure that food storage areas are maintained in accordance with the company’s Food Hygiene, Healthy and Safety and Environmental policies and procedures.
• To take responsibility for contributing towards your own development with the guidance of your line manager and attending training courses as identified.
• To show commitment to company values in all aspects of your role.
• To act as a positive ambassador for the business.
• To attend to any reasonable request made by the client or management.
• To attend training sessions when required.
• To complete all course work as directed by your assessor.
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 40 hours p/w Monday-Friday, occasional weekend work.
Salary : £220.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 03/06/2019
Possible Start Date : 10/06/2019
Personal Qualities : * Enthusiastic, happy keen to love this business.
* Genuine interest in cooking fresh food and ingredients.
* Reliable, trustworthy and calm under pressure.
* Conscientious with great attention to detail.
Skills Required : * Passion for food and really enjoy cooking.
* Basic knowledge of good hygiene practises within a kitchen/hospitality environment.
* Good communication skills and ability to follow instructions.
Future Prospects : Possible employment and fantastic opportunities within Baxterstorey within Baxterstorey upon successful completion of the programme.
Training to be Provided : Commis Chef Level 2 standard, Functional Skills Maths (Level 1), Functional Skills English (Level 1)
Things to consider : The role of a Chef Apprentice can be physically demanding with long period of standing and physical activity/
Birmingham University had several Campuses therefore Apprentices may be required to travel and work in different sites as required, Apprentices will have a mentor/trainer at their main site for the duration of the Apprenticeship of 12 months.
The map below shows the employer's location