Job Title : Apprentice Chef
Employer : Harbour Hotels - Guildford
Location : Guildford, Surrey
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Hotels and Accommodation
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01310
Brief Description : Guildford Harbour Hotel Seeks Apprentice Chefs for a truly unique learning opportunity
Qualifications Required : None needed however maths and english will be assessed as part of the interview process.
Vacancy Detail : Guildford Harbour Hotel is owned by Harbour Hotels, a group of luxury hotels based across the South of England who are currently recruiting to grow their unique Chef Academy with the next selection of Apprentice Chefs.
Responsibilities of the Apprentice Chef:
• Gain experience across all areas of the kitchen to gain knowledge to complete Commis Chef Apprenticeship Standard.
• To use available resources to learn and develop sufficiently, cook, prepare and present ingredients and finished dishes in the restaurant.
• Work as a team with the kitchen brigade to maintain the highest standards at all times.
• Ensure all mise-en-place/food prep is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
• Attend Academy Training days once a week at our Christchurch Head Office.
• Learn and adhere to all HACCP & COSHH procedures, including all open, close down and cleaning procedure including the safe use of equipment and knives.
• Assisting the preparation, cooking, and presentation of food to the highest standard
• Complying with and having full knowledge of regulations regarding Health & Safety policies
• Operating ovens, stoves, grills and fryers and other various kitchen utensils and equipment to prepare foods
• Preparing and cooking food according to recipes and quality standards
• Monitoring the quantity of food that is prepared including portioning, chopping and storing food before use
• Setting up and breaking down your workstation
• Storing items appropriately and cleaning your workstation as you go.
• Undertaking any reasonable duties assigned by senior members of the team
Due to the nature of our restaurants, our trainee Chef programme offers unique and exciting environments to work and learn in, under the guidance of our talented Head Chefs and teams.
As well as being based 4 days on site in our kitchens, once a week our apprentice chef academy operates from Head Office, where you will spend the day with other apprentices brushing up and refining the skills you need to cover for the apprenticeship.
The Apprenticeship will include 6 workshops a year, ranging from butchery to pastry, as well as being involved in a variety of day trips to markets, suppliers and off site masterclasses.
To support our bespoke training programme the owner has invested in a training Academy at Head Office which mimics all Hotel departments.
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 40
Salary : £240.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 11/02/2019
Possible Start Date : 18/02/2019
Personal Qualities : * The desire to learn new skills and techniques.
* Excellent communication skills.
* Ability to work under instruction with good attention to detail.
* Reliable, responsible with a 'can do' attitude.
Skills Required : * Confidence and willingness to go the extra mile for your team.
* Commitment and passion for the hospitality industry.
* Some commercial Kitchen/Hospitality experience and willingness to learn.
* Basic knowledge of safe food hygiene/handling practises within a kitchen.
Future Prospects : Progression to level 3 Chef de Partie upon successful completion of the Level two Commis Chef Programme if possible operationally.
Training to be Provided : Level 2 Commis Chef standard including Functional Skills Maths (Level 1), Functional Skills English (Level 1)
Other Information : The Apprenticeship will involve working evenings, weekends and Bank Holidays.
Things to consider : The role will require the learner to travel to Head Office in Christchurch every other week for additional training at our bespoke Academy Kitchen - they will be responsible for their own travel cost, although the company will support with a rail card where applicable.
The map below shows the employer's location