Job Title : Apprentice Chef
Employer : Hidden River Cafe
Location : Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6 5TU
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Chef
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01291
Brief Description : A brilliant opportunity has arisen for someone looking to start a career as a chef at the Hidden River Cafe.
Qualifications Required : None required, however, Maths and English will be assessed as part of the interview process.
Vacancy Detail : No experience necessary but a desire to learn and a love of cooking and food are important. In return you will join a small team of dedicated chefs at The Hidden Cafe and learn all aspects of how a kitchen works, whilst working towards gaining a level 2 qualification. The position includes working evenings and weekends.
Your role will involve :
• Learn to work safely and effectively within the Game Cock serving Customers in a timely and polite manner and ensuring the area is to a high standard of housekeeping and hygiene standards.
• Present a high standard of personal hygiene when working with food, ensuring that any appropriate PPE and/or clean uniform is worn, hand washing takes place regularly and that uniform is immaculately clean, nails are short and hair is tied back at all times.
• Proactively assist with the delivery of hospitality events and evening functions in line with set policies and procedures
• Service food efficiently and safely when required or requested
• Understand and contribute to the back of house catering operation and team
• Contribute safely to appropriate food preparation and learn about safe preparation methods
• Learn about and practically implement safe ways of working with food
• Accurately follow safe working practices and ensure any equipment faults are reported to your Supervisor immediately
• Carefully follow cleaning schedules as directed by your supervisor
• supporting the kitchen team by making sure equipment is clean and available when needed.
• using the pot wash and keeping the kitchen tidy.
• Cold starters and salads – providing you a good introduction in preparing dishes for service
• Knife skills – the most basic of all chef techniques. Preparing veg is the only real way to hone your skills to enable the necessary coordination, accuracy and speed.
• Uses of Equipment – Fryers, Grills, Ovens, Slicers,
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 40 hours per week
Salary : £148.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 10/04/2019
Possible Start Date : 15/04/2019
Personal Qualities : • Unfraid to ask questions
• Ability to work hard
• Ability to work accurately
• Ability to engage and build up a good rapport with young people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds
• Attention to detail
• Problem solving
• Team Work
• Flexibility in tasks and roles
• Confidence drive and enthusiasm
• Multi tasker
• Approachable and outgoing
• Dedication and motivation
• Highly presentable
Skills Required : Good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively
• Awareness of the requirements of groups of children, young people and adults.
• Ability to priorities with support
• Able to prioritise
• Work well within a team and confidence to work individually
• Work experience in any similar setting an advantage.
• Time management
• Ability to build good relationships with kitchen team and other team members
• Be willing and capable of learning new skills and undertaking training to completion
• Organisational skills
• Ability work under pressure during busy times
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to follow clear instruction
Future Prospects : Once you have become a Commis Chef, you can progress fairly quickly through the ranks towards Sous Chef. You will also have the opportunity to complete an advance apprenticeship. Year 1 will be completing Food Production, Year 2 you will completing Commis Chef and year 3 will see you complete Chef de Partie qualification.
Training to be Provided : The successful candidate will complete a level 2 food production apprenticeship with Hit training.
Including Maths and English if required.
Other Information : The weekly wage of £148 is based on 40 hours per week. The sucessful applicant will also have a trial shift as part of the interview process.
Things to consider : The Kitchen is a fast pace environment that require you to be on your feet for a long period of time. This role requires you to work mornings and evenings along with weekends. Hidden River Cafe is a rural setting so you will need to consider travel arrangements
The map below shows the employer's location